1. Filmmakers and Financing, Fifth Edition: Business Plans for Independents by Louise Levison
Let’s face it. No one puts out a fifth edition of any book unless it’s worth it. This book is worth the money. Read it through and get ideas for financing your next project. Go in there with a plan and don’t be intimated. This book will show you the way.
2. Surviving Hollywood: Your Ticket to Success by Jerry Rannow
A fun read with practical real world advice for anyone working in Hollywood. The author will show you how to set yourself up for success while watching your back.
3. And…Action! Powerful, Proven, and Proactive Strategies to Achieve Success in the Entertainment Industry by Jessica Sitomer
This book offers the reader a plan for a successful career through goal setting, networking and of course “action”. It’s an easy read. If you get a chance to attend one of the author’s seminars; don’t hesitate.
4. The Business of Film: A Practical Guide to Achieving Success in the Film Industry by Stephen R. Greenwald and Paula Landry
This book is packed with great information for thinking different about an industry once only dominated by big name stars and Hollywood studios. Take advantage of new technology and distribution to achieve success.
5. Success in the Arts: What It Takes to Make It in Creative Fields by A Micheal Shumate
An informative book with witty practical advice you can use to create a career in show business.
6. The Hollywood Way: A Young Movie Mogul’s Savvy Business Tips for Success in Any Career by Frederick Levy
There’s the right way, the wrong way and then there’s the Hollywood Way. This book covers how to become an expert, pay it forward and build a business that will last even in the toughest times.
7. Highway to Success: The Entertainer’s Roadmap to Business by Elliott Smith and Ian Quick
Learn how to market your services successfully and bring in a steady stream of work so you can focus on what you love to do.
8. The Hollywood Assistant’s Handbook: 86 Rules for Aspiring Power Players by Hillary Stamm and Peter Nowalk
A guidebook filled with somewhat snotty advice from someone who has been there and seen it all. It’s an insider’s look at the industry and the people trying to get past the gatekeeper.
9. Reel Power: The Struggle for Influence and Success in the New Hollywood by Mark Litwak
How things work in Hollywood and how you can manipulate outcomes with advice from people who have been there.
10. The Tao of Show Business: How to Pursue Your Dream without Losing Your Mind by Dallas Travers
The author combines good career sense with practical exercises the reader can follow for personal development.